Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Edging my Punk garden

Last time I said that I 'cut out' a number of Proto-Punk bands. What I did was remove them from the list of 'Seeded Artists'. A number of them are still being played occasionally. Most of them, actually. They are being played much less often, which is more in keeping with what I really wanted. Its just difficult to finely tune Pandora in matters like this.

At some point in time I removed Social Distortion. I wasn't happy about pulling them, but they were causing Pandora to pitch me some seriously not-Punk bands. I suggested to Pandora that they add a tool like: Play This Artist, But Do Not Play Others Like This. Even knowing what artist seeds caused Pandora to pick additional artists would be a great help. I'd like to bring Social Distortion back, but not for a while yet. I'm still pruning back some hardcore. Seeding Agnostic Front turned out to be dangerous from a Pandora perspective - the band has a large body of recordings and thus an enlarged influence on Pandora.

Added Be Your Own Pet, Betty Blowtorch, the Gossip, Vice Squad, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Be Your Own Pet and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are actually "on the fence". The Yeah Yeah Yeahs have some really Punk songs - and a number of songs that simply do not belong here. I've opted to actively manage that by thumbing down every song that I disapprove of. Thats more work, but the resultant mix is worth the effort.

Also added Television. I may give them the same harsh treatment as the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but Television was one of Punk's cornerstone bands. They belong here more than others.

I mentioned waaaaaaaaaaaay down there that I gave a thumbs up to TOOL. I removed that thumb, leaving them neutral and will give thumbs down if Pandora adds it to the mix. I'm a great fan of TOOL, but they are an oddball from the standpoint of music genres. Keeping them would seriously screw up the mix.

I'm no longer going to list the individual groups that get a thumbs down. There are too many of them, and they often don't seem to be related to anything that I'm playing. The exeption will be to seeded artists that I give thumbs down to, and other bands that are played quite often that need controlling. Listening to such a one right now; Fugazi. Too much airtime. I havent decided which song to harsh on, but it will probably be one of the Minor Threat songs...  no, that sends the wrong message. Guess I'll have to pick something from Repeater. I'm concerned about Rancid's airplay as well, but I want to be very careful with them.

3 comments:

  1. Extremely high standards, great taste, keeping it real... You are the perfect Pandora station creator! They ought to hire you!!

    Really digging this blog.. WOW you are totally unafraid! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    *kimberly*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw shucks, ma'am....

    I'd love to be able to pipe this station into my car somehow. Of course, if I did, I would never want to go home.

    ReplyDelete