Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Windup

[Playing: Be Your Own Pet "Fire Department"]

I'm still alive. I'm still unemployed, and Punk Rock is still a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Today I took a giant shot in the dark and sent an email to people affiliated with ... well, a company that produces television shows. I don't think that their identity is important. I pitched them an idea whose cancer had been growing in my brain for as long as I have been ignoring this blog and enjoying my Pandora radio station. I have this fantasy of hosting a Punk Rock musical variety show on a cable channel with an international audience.

Let me set the record straight; I have no illusions about myself. I dearly want something like this to happen, even if I cannot be personally involved in it. Punk Rock is long overdue for some manner of worldwide recognition, and this would be the best way to accomplish that. Also, a number of the great bastions of Punk are getting old. We need a show like this while these great people are still with us.

I did a little surfing to check some facts, in the course of writing my pitch. I had to be sure that Iggy was still alive. Marky Ramone has some 2012 dates for Marky Ramone's Blitzkrieg. I believe Joan Jett is still active. There are even 2012 tour dates for Bad Brains!!! What? I didn't even know that they were still a going concern.

Shows what I know, right?

I reprinted the letter as a blog entry below. Mostly to create a copyright for the idea, but also for you to make fun of my idea. I wonder if Siouxsie is still alive?

I'm emotionally drained right now. When I write things that are important to me, like my NaNoWriMo novel, a lot of me goes out onto the page. Whew! Well, the important thing now is not just that I did something about my idea, for better or worse. Now that I have used a keyboard to download the idea from my brain, maybe the fantasy will plague me less. Or not. This is the kind of 'cure' that has mixed results, but it does tend to work with story ideas.

Punk is not dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment